Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

8.27.2012

Make it Better.....a Quick and Easy Project

A few weeks ago, I found this hideous lamp at HomeGoods.  I should say it was hideous to me, but maybe others would have seen its beauty and been able to embrace it in its original state.  I didn't buy it right away, but after thinking about it for a few hours, I made my husband wait in the car while I ran in and got it because I was sure that someone else would see its potential and snag it if I didn't.  He took one look at the lamp, and said "Yeah, I'm sure people were waiting in line to purchase that pile".  Thanks.


Kind of a gross, pinecone-looking base, with an even worse application of several shades of gold and bronze paint.  The texture made it even worse, but I loved the burlap shade.  Yep, this thing had potential.


A close up of the cob-web texture, but I thought this could be an easy and inexpensive fix, and have a sort of 'paper-mache' look in the end.  A few (probably 5 or so) coats of white spray paint later, and this is what I ended up with:


Yay!  So much better, and now its a "unique" piece.  I think the white base elevates the burlap shade and makes each element stand out.



Now the texture looks intentional, instead of a bad "crafty" spray-on paint job.


The best part is that the lamp will light up the corner of our newly renovated (almost done.....) sunroom!  Its the perfect piece for out here, and I can't wait to post more photos--before and afters--of how we transformed this space on a serious dime.  Coming soon!

3 comments:

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Wow, I don't know if I would have seen the potential, but the lamp looks fantastic in its new neutral color!

www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

Holly Gruszka said...

Awessome! And I was going to ask what room this was but sounds like we'll get a peek soon. A sunroom is on my wishlist for our next house, and this lamps really adds a nice element. I've had lamps on the brain lately too. I need new ones for our living room.

Elissa said...

Yup, love it! Good call on the white spray paint!!